Calico Jack's Zip Lining FAQ & Tips
- A minor may zip if the parent or guardian is present with them on the trip and/or signed minor’s waiver form. Minors 13 – 17 years old must have a waiver signed by a parent or guardian and be accompanied by an adult chaperone. A child 12 or under must have a parent/guardian on site.
- Anyone may zip alone who weighs at least 30 pounds, is 6 years old or older and is at least 48 inches tall.
- Children as young as 2 years old may zip tethered to one of our expert guides.
- Anyone may zip who has a level of maturity that would allow them to handle instructions and be at a minimum height off the ground.
- Anyone may zip who can listen to instructions and stay focused. There will be times of rest and relaxation on the tours while at height.
- Anyone may zip who is able to reach the various safety clip-in points. The tour guides will attach the clients, but the participant should be able to climb around and reach hand holds and cables during the tour.
- In order to zip, the participant must fit in the harnesses we have. The harnesses we use will usually fit sizes from 30 pounds up to 260 pounds and are rated to 7,000 pounds. Smaller or larger sizes are not always available.
- Remove valuable items from pockets and secure them.
- Pull hair back and tuck it inside your helmet or shirt. Secure loose items away from the pulley.
- Stay upright! Hanging upside down creates safety concerns for the tour guides. One, it puts your feet over your head and you run the risk of passing out. It also puts your shoes and shoelaces up by the pulley and they could get caught in the pulley wheels. Overall, it is just considered poor practice and should be avoided.
- Cameras! Everyone wants to remember their trip. If you bring a camera, also bring the protective case and a means to secure it to your person while you have your hands busy holding onto your safety tethers. Dropping your digital camera is never fun and often, you may not be in a position to recover it.
- Wear comfortable clothing. Most of our participants enjoy zipping in long pants or shorts, T-shirts and running shoes. Skirts or dresses are not acceptable attire.
- Closed-toe shoes are important. You cannot zip in bare feet or flip-flops. Shoes with laces should be tied. Lightweight rain gear is recommended in certain conditions.